Chronic inflammation in the body is the root cause of most chronic diseases
The anti – inflammatory diet is a general healthy diet that lowers your risk for cancer, heart disease, and other chronic diseases and promotes longevity
Foods to eat:
- Foods high in omega-3 fatty acids
- Flax seed oil – buy in the refrigerated, keep in the fridge, do not cook with it eat it raw
- Flax meal – add to salads, smoothies, soups.
- Fish oil Supplements. 2 grams per day.
- Curcumin & Turmeric. Add to chicken dishes, potatoes, soups.
- Foods high in vitamin D. Salmon, Mackerel, Eggs, fortified low fat milk.
- Kefir, plain and low-fat.
- Flavanoids: Quercetin & Apigenin have been proven to be anti-inflammatory
- Sources: Onions, Apples, Tea, Berries, Olives, Bananas, Lettuce, Plums, Red Wine, Celery, Lemons, Parsley, Oregano, Beets
- Beets – High in betalains which are anti-inflammatory.
- Olive oil – sauté, marinade, bake, and use as dressing
- Whole leaf teas – Buy a strainer and make full leaf teas that do not come in a tea bag that come loose. You can buy this at whole foods
Complete the diet with:
- All fresh fruits
- All fresh or frozen vegetables
- Eat raw, steamed, baked, broiled
- Legumes – Beans, Lentils – high in fiber, high in protein, low in calories
- Lean protein – tofu, boneless skinless chicken breast, fish: tilapia, branzino, snapper, tuna, salmon, sea bass
- Whole grains – fiber you need is 30 grams per day
- Farro (make a salad with it by adding veggies and some lemon and olive oil)
- Whole wheat couscous
- Whole wheat pasta (Barilla plus in yellow box)
- Whole wheat couscous
- Whole wheat Israeli couscous
- Whole wheat bread
- Gluten free bread – Udi’s brand. In the frozen section, pop into toaster
- For sweeteners use agave syrup, turbinado sugar, or raw cane sugar and in small amounts.
- Eggs – only up to one whole egg per day and the rest egg whites (mix one whole egg with 2-3 additional egg whites to make an omelet)
Foods to avoid that are pro-inflammatory:
- Foods high in omega 6
Corn oil, Safflower oil, Sunflower oil, Soybean oil
◦ USE OLIVE OIL INSTEAD, which is a monounsaturated fatty acid.
- Processed foods
- Fried Foods (They will usually be fried in the above oils)
French fries, Chicken nuggets, ect.
- Commercial salad dressing (Main ingredient is oil high in omega 6)
◦ Instead try making dressing using olive oil and balsamic or olive oil and lemon dressing.
- Margarine & Shortening
- Store bought cakes and cookies
- Avoid fatty meats like red meat and pork