You hear everyday that you should drink more water. But it is not only for general health, it also aids in weight loss! and studies show that drinking diet soda is not the same thing, water is superior.
Water can help you lose weight by:
- Increasing calories you burn
- Increasing rate of fat breakdown
- Decreasing amount of calories you consume by swapping soda or juice for water
A study tested out the effect of drinking water on weight loss along with a diet: Subjects drank more than 1 liter of water per day (1 liter = 4.5 cups of water.) Results showed that over 12 months, drinking more than 1 liter per day of water was associated with significantly greater weight loss than diet alone. Water was associated with a decrease in body weight, waist circumference, and % body fat.
This wasn’t just due to the reduction of calories from other beverages, because noncaloric drinks other than water were associated with 30% smaller effect than water, so drinking diet soda is not the same!
Over the 12 months of the study weight loss due to drinking water alone was 5 pounds. This might sound small but its reduction of 17,500 calories, without doing anything! By just drinking water! So it is worth doing in addition to other diet and exercise tactics.
I also recommend my clients to have a cup of water before and after each meal, as it will result in less calories being consumed. Sometimes we also mistake hunger for thirst, so drinking a cup of water prior to snacking or eating is a good strategy.
Tips on how to drink more water
- Always have a pitcher of water at the table during meal times (I use Brita)
- Buy a reusable earth friendly aluminum water bottle and take it with you where ever you go so you always have water (It is a good alternative to plastic.)
- Keep a bottle of water by your bed
- If you always have water around you will drink more!
- If you do not like the taste of plain water add lemon slices, mint leaves, strawberries, to jazz it up
- check out this site it has cool ways to increase your water intake http://www.wikihow.com/Drink-More-Water-Every-Day