Most of your immunity (70%) is located in your gut (you stomach, small, and large intestine, where you digest and excrete food.) For this reason it is very important for your health to optimize your gut flora (the bacteria that is naturally living in your stomach.)
- The type and amount of microbes in your gut can either promote leanness or contribute to obesity, type 1 and type 2 diabetes, and metabolic dysfunction.
- studies have shown differing gut flora in “skinny” versus obese people
How can you optimize your gut flora? and therefore lead a healthier leaner life?
- Regularly taking antibiotics and eating antibiotic fed beef and meat can decimate beneficial bacteria in your gut. for that reason only take antibiotics when necessary.
- Take a probiotic supplement every day! Find the list of top ten most pure probiotics here.
- Eat fermented foods such as kefir, natto, fermented vegetables, tofu, and yogurt.
- Antibacterial soap (unless for a specific reason.)
- Conventionally raised meat and animal products, due to the antibiotics they have been given.
- Processed food, the refined sugar feeds pathogenic bacteria.
- CAFO- raised animal food products.
- Emulsifies found in processed foods, they have a detrimental effect on your beneficial microbes. They interfere with microbes in your gut and promote inflammatory bowel disease, obesity, and metabolic syndrome. These emulsifiers found mainly in processed foods are: Polysorbate, Lecithin, Carrageenan, Polyglycerol, Xantan Gums.
This article was adapted from multiple articles from Dr.Mercola.